2021 – present:
Owner, E-Discovery LLC.
2019 – 2021
Partner, Smithey Law Group, LLC
2008 – 2019
Member, Rifkin Weiner Livingston, LLC f/k/a Rifkin, Weiner, Livingston, Levitan & Silver, LLC. Civil Litigation.
Senior Counsel, General Counsel’s Office, Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission. Civil litigation, management of office, supervision of attorneys, negotiation of transactions.
Deputy Chief of Civil Litigation, Office of the Attorney General of Maryland. Engaged in complex civil litigation at trial and appellate levels; supervised trial and appellate litigation; conducted in-house education; provided support to field offices.
1998 – 2001:
Tydings & Rosenberg LLP (firms merged). Civil Litigation.
1981 – 1998:
Kaplan, Heyman, Greenberg, Engelman & Belgrad, P.A. Civil Litigation.
1980 – 1981:
Law Clerk to the Honorable R. Dorsey Watkins, United States District Judge, United States District Court for the District of Maryland.
- Juris Doctor, with honors, University of Maryland School of Law, 1980.
- Master of Arts, University of Maryland, 1977.
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Wisconsin, 1970.
- Georgetown Electronic Discovery Training Academy (2016).
- Xera iConect Project Manager, Oct. 23, 2015 – Oct. 22, 2016.
- Center for Alternative Dispute Resolution Mediator Training, 2009.
- Effective Mediation of Commercial, Insurance, and Other Multi-Issue Disputes, MSBA, 2016.
- Effective Mediation of Commercial, Insurance, and Other Multi-Issue Disputes, MSBA, 2014.
- Editor-in-Chief, Electronically Stored Information in Maryland Courts (Md. State Bar Ass’n. 2020);
- Co-editor, Perspectives on Predictive Coding And Other Advanced Search Methods for the Legal Practitioner (American Bar Assoc. 2016);
- M. Berman, C. Barton, and P. Grimm, eds., Managing E-Discovery and ESI: From Pre-Litigation Through Trial (American Bar Assoc. July 2011).
- Author, “The Duty to Preserve ESI (Its Trigger, Scope, and Limit) & the Spoliation Doctrine in the Maryland State Courts,” 45 U.Balt.L.Forum 129 (2015).
- Co-author, “Referenda in Maryland: The Need for Comprehensive Statutory Reform,” 42 U.Balt.L.Rev. 655 (2013)(printed Feb. 2014).
- Co-author, “Discovery About Discovery: Does The Attorney-Client Privilege Protect All Attorney-Client Communications Relating To The Preservation Of Potentially Relevant Material?,” 37 U. Balt. L. Rev. 381 (2008).
- Co-author, “Proportionality In The Post-Hoc Analysis Of Pre-Litigation Preservation Decisions,” 37 U. Balt. L. Rev. 413 (2008).
- Co-author, “New ESI Principles in the District of Maryland,” The Maryland Litigator (January 2017).
- Co-author, “Commentary: With ESI, difference between federal, state rules,” The Daily Record (June 17, 2016).
- Author, “Taxation of e-discovery costs,” The Daily Record (Aug. 12, 2012).
- Author, “High Profile E-Discovery Plaintiff’s Memoir Provides Inside View of Judicial Process,” Bloomberg BNA Digitial Discovery & e-Evidence (Aug. 2, 2012).
- Co-author, “Maryland’s Discovery Protocol,” LexisNexis Discovery Services (2007).
- Co-author, “ESI Protocol,” The MSBA Litigator (2007).
- Co-author, “Construction Trust Fund Act May Dramatically Impact Industry,” Maryland Builder (Sept./Oct. 1988).
- Co-author, “Maryland’s U.S. Courts Need Detention Center,” Baltimore Sun, June 6, 2001, p.19A.
- Co-author, “The Use of Sanctions in Federal Court,” Maryland Bar Journal (Nov./Dec.1988).
- Co-author, “Termination of Extraordinary Medical Treatment,” Maryland Law Forum (April 1984).
- Co-author, “Civil Trial Procedures in Maryland,” National Business Institute, 1992.
- Co-author, “Effective Motion Practice in Maryland,” National Business Institute, 1998.
- Author, “When Does a Litigation Hold End?,” Digital Discovery and e-Evidence (Bureau of National Affairs (Oct. 2009).
- Author, “General Adverse Inference Instruction For Intentional Breach Of Duty To Preserve —Goodman v. Praxair Services, Inc., Digital Discovery and e-Evidence (Bureau of National Affairs, July 2009).
- Author, “Tips to Avoid Mistakes with ESI Vendors,” ABA Technology for the Litigator (Summer 2009).
- Author, “Motions to Compel ESI Denied,” ABA Litigation News (Fall 2009).
- Author, “Give Peace a Chance: Lawyers Are Ethically Required to Cooperate in Discovery,” ABA Litigation News (Winter 2009).
- Author, “Discovery Lapse Could Result in Loss of Privilege,” ABA Litigation News (Fall 2008).
- Author, “Electronically Stored Information,” The MSBA Litigator (2007).
- Author, “Interstate Compact for Adult Offender Supervision,” The Back Bench (Oct. 2002).
- Author, “Low Cost Litigation Technology,” Maryland Bar Journal (Nov./Dec. 2000).
- Author, “Religious Holidays, Public Schools,” Maryland Bar Journal (May/June 1995).
- Author, “Unsealing Adoption Records,” Maryland Bar Journal (Sept./Oct. 1989).
- Mayor and City Council of Havre de Grace v. Vincenti, et al., C-12-CV-738 (Cir.Ct.Harford Co. 2022)(redistricting).
- Graham v. Famous Dave’s of America, 2020 WL 6874323 (D.Md. Nov. 23, 2020).
- Doe v. Alternative Medicine MD, LLC, 455 Md. 377 (2017).
- Estate of Adams v. Continental Ins. Co., 233 Md.App. 1 (2017).
- State Center, LLC v. Lexington Charles Ltd. P’shp., 438 Md. 451 (2014).
- The Town of La Plata v. Faison-Rosewick, LLC, 434 Md. 496 (2013).
- Canvan v. Md. State Bd. of Elections, 430 Md. 533 (2013) (summary affirmance of validity of Gaming Expansion Act referendum).
- Citizens Against Slots at the Mall v. PPE Casino Resorts Maryland, LLC, 429 Md. 176 (2012).
- AFCO Credit Corp. v. Md. Insurance Admin., 198 Md.App. 218 (2011).
- Anne Arundel County Taxpayers Association, Inc. v. Anne Arundel County Board of Elections, et al., 415 Md. 433 (2010)(summary affirmance by per curiam order).
- Citizens Against Slots at the Mall, et al. v. PPE Casino Resorts Maryland, LLC, et al., 414 Md. 117 (2010)(decision of Court; opinion to follow).
- Laurel Racing Assoc., Inc. v. Video Lottery Facility Comm’n, 409 Md. 445 (2009).
- Hufnagel, et al. v. State Board of Elections, No. 1534 (Md.Ct.Sp.Apls. 2007)(unpublished).
- Schade v. Md. State Board of Elections, 401 Md. 1 (2007).
- Banner v. U.S., 303 F.Supp.2d 1 (D.D.C. 1004), aff’d, 428 F.3d 303 (D.C. Cir. 2005), cert. denied, 547 U.S. 1143 (2006).
- Board of Elections v. Capozzi, 396 Md. 53 (2006).
- Liddy v. Lamone, 398 Md. 233 (2006).
- Md. Green Party v. Md. Bd. of Elections, 377 Md. 127 (2003), subsequent opinion, 165 Md.App. 113 (2005), cert. denied, 390 Md. 501 (2006).
- Schisler v. State, 394 Md. 519 (2006).
- Ross v. State Bd. of Elections, 387 Md. 649 (2005).
- Waterman v. Batton, 294 F.Supp.2d 109 (D.Md. 2003), rev’d, 393 F.2d 471 (4th Cir. 2005).
- Suessman v. Lamone, 383 Md. 697 (2004).
- CLUB v. Balt. City Bd. of Elections, 377 Md.183 (2003).
- Seipp v. Balt. City Bd. of Elections, 377 Md. 362 (2003).
- Nat’l. Coal. for Students W/Disabilities v. Miller, 298 F.Supp.2d 16 (D.D.C. 2002).
- Bldg. & Constr. Trades Dept. AFL-CIO v. Allbaugh, 172 F.Supp.2d 67 (D.D.C. 2001), subsequent opinion, 172 F.Supp.2d 138 (D.D.C. 2001).
- Rouse-Teachers Properties, Inc. v. Md. Cas. Co., 358 Md. 575 (2000).
- Harbor Ct. Assoc. v. Kiewit Constr. Co., 6 F.Supp.2d 449 (D. Md. 1998).
- Ins. Co. of N. America v. Security Mgt. Corp., 72 F.3d 127, 1995 WL 729492 (4th Cir. 1995) (unpublished).
- Davis v. State, 100 Md. App. 369 (1994) (amicus curiae).
- Sipes v. BMZA, et al., 99 Md. App. 78 (1994).
- Telesaver, Inc. v. U.S.T.S., 687 F. Supp. 997 (D. Md. 1988), aff’d, 923 F.2d 849 (4th Cir. 1991), cert. denied, 502 U.S. 812 (1991).
- Kelson v. Spin Publications, Inc., 1988 WL 52192 (D.Md. 1988) (unpublished).
- KKK v. Thurmont, 700 F. Supp. 281 (D. Md. 1988).
- S.O. Jennings Constr. Co. v. Sierra Leone, 1988 WL 75748 (D.Md. 1988) (unpublished).
- Ullah v. Canion Shipping Co., 589 F. Supp. 552 (D. Md.1984), aff’d, 755 F.2d 1116 (4th Cir. 1985).
- C.T.C. v. Toshiba Corp., 576 F. Supp. 312 (D. Md. 1983).
- Viscount Const. Co. v. DESCO, Inc., 68 Md. App. 362 (1980).
- Chair, Subcommittee to Propose Revisions to the ESI Protocol, Court’s Bench-Bar Committee (2016).
- Past Co-chair, American Bar Association, Litigation Section Book Publishing Board (2012-2013).
- Member, Subcommittee on Electronically Stored Information (U.S.Dist.Ct.Md.).
- Past Co-chair, Federal District Court Committee, Maryland State and Federal Bar Associations (assisted in drafting ESI Protocol, selection of digital evidence presentation system, drafting of Discovery Guidelines, drafting of proposed pattern discovery, establishing unofficial web site for Court, and, planning of six Bench-Bar Conferences).
- Past Chair, Litigation Section Council, Maryland State Bar Assoc.
- Past Member, Special Committee on Editorial Advisory, Maryland Bar Journal.
- Former Associate Editor, ABA Litigation News Magazine.
- Member, Transition Advisory Group, Brian Frosh, Attorney General of Maryland-Elect, 2014 Policy Forum
- Order of the Coif.
- Bernstein Prize, University of Maryland.
- Phi Kappa Phi Honorary Society.
- U.S. Department of H.E.W. Public Service Fellowship at Institute for Urban Studies, University of Maryland.
- Chief’s Commendation, MD Transportation Authority Police.
- SuperLawyers, 2019, 2020, 2021 2022.
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Preeminent, 2020, 2021, 2022.
- Marquis Who’s Who Lifetime Achievement Award, 2018.
- Adjunct Professor, Electronically Stored Information Workshop, University of Baltimore School of Law (2008 to present).
- Adjunct Professor, Electronic Discovery and Evidence Workshop, University of Maryland School of Law (2008).
- Presenter, “Social Media as Evidence,” Md. State Bar Young Lawyers Section (December 2022).
- Presenter, “Social Media for Magistrates,” Maryland Judicial College (September 2022).
- Presenter, “ESI in Maryland Courts,” Maryland Judicial College (March 2022).
- Presenter, “Discovery and ESI,” Federal Bar Assoc. – MD Chapter (March 2022).
- Coach, Georgetown Electronic Discovery Training Academy (2016, 2017).
- Moderator and presenter, ESI Issues (Charles Co. Bar Assoc. 2018).
- Presentation, “Electronic & Digital Evidence for Orphan’s Court Judges,” Maryland Judicial College (2021).
- Speaker, Social Media, Maryland Judicial College (2018).
- Moderator and Presenter, ESI Issues (Charles County Bar Ass’n. 2018).
- Speaker, “Spoiling for a Fight – Preventing, Spotting and Addressing ESI Destruction,” Md. State Bar Assoc. Annual Meeting (2017).
- Speaker, Electronic Discovery in Complex Litigation (State Capital Group, Denver, CO 2017).
- Speaker, “Social Media,” Md. State Bar Assoc. Young Lawyers Section (2016);
- Speaker, “Electronically Stored Information – What Lawyers Need to Know,” Md. State Bar Assoc. Family Law Section (2016).
- Panelist, “Unplugged Will Leave You Cached Out – Defragging Your Law Practice,” Maryland State Bar Convention (2016).
- Speaker, Recent Amendments to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, Bar Assoc. of Montgomery Co. (2016).
- Presenter, “Professionalism and ESI,” Maryland Professionalism Center, Inc. (May, December 2014, May 2015).
- Presenter, Everything You Don’t Know About E-Discovery (But Wish You Did), National Business Institute (Apr. 30, 2014).
- Presenter, “Information Governance,” Major League Baseball Interim Meeting (Orlando, FL, Nov. 2013).
- Presenter, “Offensive and Defensive Use of ESI,” Montgomery Co. Bar Ass’n (Apr. 2013).
- Presenter, Judicial Institute of Maryland, “The Spoliation Doctrine in Maryland” (2014).
- Presenter, Judicial Institute of Maryland, “Electronic Evidence” (2013).
- Presenter, Webinar by Law.com and Access Data, “Data Governance and e-Discovery: Flip Sides of the Same Coin” (Jun. 2012).
- Presenter, “Managing Ethical Landmines in Electronically Stored Information,” (National Disability Rights Network, Training & Advocacy Support Center, Annual Conference, Jun. 2012).
- Panelist, Access Data Users’ Conference, “Data Governance and e-Discovery: Flip Sides of the Same Coin” (Las Vegas, May 2012).
- Presenter, Stevenson University “Forensic Symposium: eDiscovery – Digital Hide and Seek” (Apr. 2012).
- Presenter, “The Relevance and Risks of Evidence and E-Discovery for Everyday Practice,” (Albuquerque, N.Mex., Dec. 2011).
- Presenter, Maryland Judicial Institute (Oct. 2011).
- Presenter, “2011 IQPC eDiscovery for Government,” (IQPC Wash., D.C., Jun. 2011).
- Panelist, State Capital Group ESI Program (Charlotte, NC, 2011).
- Presenter, The Computer Forensics Show (2011).
- Presenter, “Creating Privilege Logs for Financial Institution Litigation,” 4th Annual eDiscovery for Financial Services (International Quality & Productivity Center, NY, 2011).
- Presenter, “ESI For All: Selected Hot Issues for Litigators and Non-Litigators Alike,” National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (NAPABA) Southeast Regional Conference (2011).
- Presenter, Bar Assoc. of Montgomery Co., MD, 116th Annual Meeting & Law Day Celebration (2010).
- Presenter, “Navigating Computer Usage and Records Management Policies,” The Computer Forensics Show (NY 2010).
- Presenter, “The Sedona Conference Cooperation Proclamation,” and “Overview of Admissibility of ESI,” Federal Bar Assoc., MD Chapter (2010).
- Moderator, Federal Bar Assoc., MD Chapter, “Electronically Stored Information: A to Z,”(United States Courthouse, 2009).
- Presenter, “Electronic Evidence,” Judicial Institute of Maryland (Annapolis 2009).
- Panelist, E-discovery program at Maryland State Bar Assoc. Annual Meeting (2009).
- Keynote Speaker, CT Summation Best Practices Summit (Washington 2008).
- Moderator, Maryland State Bar Assoc. Litigation Section Council Regional Meeting Panel Discussion on “ESI and the Maryland Rules” (Nov. 2008).
- Panelist, “Mastering the Discovery Process for the General Counsel,” (Incisive Media, NY, Nov. 2008).
- Panelist, Transportation Research Board 46th Annual Workshop, part of the National Research Council, operating under the National Academy of Science (2006, 2008).
- Participant, “Best Practices for Complex E-Discovery Matters (LexisNexis Applied Discovery, NY, 2008)
- Participant, University of Baltimore ESI Symposium (2008).
- Presenter, 5th eDiscovery Workshop (International Quality & Productivity Center, Las Vegas, 2008).
- Presenter, ESI Seminar, Maryland Disability Law Center (2008).
- Presenter, “Rule 26(g) Comes Out of the Shadows,” CT Summation Webinar (2008).
- Presenter, State & Local Government Law Institute, MICPEL (2008).
- Presenter, “The New Ethics of Discovery,” CT Summation Webinar (2008).
- Presenter, “Traps for the Unwary,” New York Office of the Attorney General (2008).
- Panelist, “Discovering Electronic Discovery,” Baltimore City Law Dept. (2007).
- Panelist, Trial Expert Webinar, LexisNexis Discovery Services (2007).
- Moderator, MICPEL Federal Rules Update (2000).
- Maryland Court of Appeals.
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals.
- United States Supreme Court.
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland.
Captain, United States Army. Awards included the Expert Infantry Badge, Army Commendation Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Korea Defense Service Medal, and Airborne (Paratrooper) Badge. Served 19 months in the Republic of Korea.